Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Learning Like Our Children

One thing I love about leading a Children's Ministry is hearing my teachers say week after week, "I think I learned more from that lesson than the kids." And so often I feel the same way!
It is amazing to me how much I can learn by writing or teaching a children's lesson. The Bible says this about itself in Hebrews 4:12:
"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
When we are teaching the Bible to our children, there is so much we can learn ourselves. Regardless of how many times we may have heard the stories, they are new! So my challenge to you as you teach your children is to search the Scriptures both for lessons and truths to communicate, but also for lessons and truths that you yourself can learn.
May we never be a people who think they have gotten all they can from any particular story or passage. May we always come before Scripture ready to learn.

1 comment:

Lindsey @ A New Life said...

Thank you for the reminder to continue to see and feel scripture with the enthusiasm and openness of a child!