Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Tell the Coming Generation"

I was meditating on Psalm 78 yesterday and the first thing I noticed as I began was that the title of the Psalm is Tell the Coming Generation. That immediately struck a chord so as I read I tried to answer the questions:
What should we tell them?
How should we do it?
Why should we tell them?

This Psalm provides a great example of how to teach our children what God has done in the Scriptures and let those events reveal His character and love. I would encourage you to spend some time in Psalm 78 by yourself, and then with your children.

What should we tell them?
We will not hide them from their children, but tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might, and the wonders that he has done. (verse 4)

How should we do it?
I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings from of old, things that we have heard and known, that our fathers have told us. (verse 3) (the rest of the Psalm gives a great example of how to tell a story)

Why should we tell them?
So that they should set their hope in God and not forget the works of God but keep his commandments. (verse 7)

May we shepherd our children with upright heart and guide them with a skillful hand (Psalm 78:72).

No comments: